Thursday, March 26, 2009

HG Interviews SNEAK ATTACK'S PHENOM

Photobucket

Grey Granite gets the real talk "Phenom"

I think I met Phenom when I hosted that Lupe Fiasco show.... well anyway the kid was on his way up then and in just a few short months it seems he has worked his way to the top. His Sneak Attack parties are huge- they draw people from IL, KY, and IN and it gets crazy! I had to find out what he attributes all this success to and what 90's TV sitcom he was on when he was a kid (read on to find out).

HG: So PHENOM you’re the youngest in charge huh? Your making big noise to be so new and young at this what do you attribute your success to?

It really is tough for me to rationalize how all the positivity has turned into success. In my opinion I think just busting my ass and staying focused always trying to find different angles and different concepts for getting the job done seems to help. I've come to realize that people associate the midwest with anything BUT electronic music, I like to give those people my business card.

HG (Grey): Where did the name PHENOM come from?

A good friend of mine threw a party about 3 years ago and I offered to dj it. At the time I didn't know much about turntables, serato, or anything of that nature so I just took my collection of iTunes tracks and played off there all night. Apparently the 300+ people there enjoyed what they heard, staying around until the cops showed up. My friend seemed to enjoy what he heard and told me that it was Phenomenal following that sentence up by saying if you don't have a dj name you should use Phenom. I had nothing honestly and just assumed it would be something fun to do so I kept the name and still go by it. Every day I try to make up other dj names for myself; some funny, some random, and some just utterly stupid but in the end I'm kind of happy with my name on all the flyers that have been put out there so I don't really want to start fresh under a different moniker. Also I should probably not that I in no way condone djing a party off of iTunes, despite the fact that there are "turntable docks" that hold two iPods. Serato or real records are the way to go.

HG (Grey): He Knew what was up! Its a good name it fits you!


HG (Grey): If you could crack any artist in the face with a pool stick who'd it be?

Hahahahah thats actually a really good question. I'm probably the most laid back person, I would only probably fight someone that tried to hurt someone close to me, I always get weirded out by people fighting in public settings where alcohol is involved.

HG (Grey): So you do the Sneak Attack parties, for people that have been yet how would you describe what they are missing?

Well, I think its a combo between excellent talent on the turntables and great people coming out to make these parties really fun.

I'm not going to say you should come out, I would simply advice you to look at the pictures of the shows and let them persuade you.

HG (Grey): I'll say It! "you should come out to SNEAK ATTACK!"

5. What are your two favorite songs to drop on the dance floor right now?

Gosh great question. Probably La Roux's In For The Kill (Skream's Let's Get Ravy Mix) or Benga-Night

HG (Grey): I can't believe you said "Gosh"- haha!

HG (Grey): Is there a song lyric stuck in your head now?

There are so many, usually hip hop lines that I just like to spout off for fun, like tellin someone to Juke Them Hoes or something like that haha. Hip hop is good for that, you can never really crack jokes with indie rock lyrics unfortunately.

HG (Grey): yeah I remember back in the day I had Craig Macks lyric stuck for like 4 months, "Ya crazy like the glue, to think that you could out do my one to, ya sick like the flu."

HG (Grey): Have you ever eating at the Tibetan snow lion (I think that's what it's called)? Where is your favorite place to eat?

I have actually, that place is most excellent, don't order a 5 in hotness for your meal though, it will light your ass on fire. (see, back to quoting hip hop lyrics ha) I think one of my favorite places to eat in Bloomington is probably Farm, since all the food is organic it's def the best meal anyone can purchase.

HG (Grey): hmmm gota try that next time I'm there- during store hours (lol).


HG (Grey): Name a TV show in the 90's that you wish you were on.

Step By Step, seems like a wild bunch to party with.

HG (Grey): wow. I never would have guessed that one!

HG (Grey): So what is your plan for the rest of this year?

Not too sure what the rest of the year is going to bring me, I'm starting a new side project under the alias of The Thomas Crown Affair so hopefully there will be a release or two under that. I'll also be scheming a few out of town gigs for the summer and maybe lining up a mini tour or weekly party in another town.

http://cantaffordthefabric.blogspot.com/

SNEAK ATTACK
Start Time:

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 10:30pm
End Time:
Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 2:30am
Location:
Le Petit Cafe
Street:
308 W 6th St (Just off the square downtown)
City/Town:
Bloomington, IN

No comments:

Post a Comment