Tuesday, April 21, 2009

HeavyGun Interviews: Action Jackson


ACTION JACKSON


HG: So Jackson, how would a random drunken chick at 2:30am on a Saturday night in the club you are spinning describe what you do and what just happened to her?

AJ:
I don't know how to answer this without sounding pretentious but hopefully she'd say she had a good time and that I played some crazy stuff that's she's never heard before. Actually I think someone twittered the other night that I was "the Walmart of djing" (they meant that as a compliment because I ran through so many genres in one set).

HG: You have one of the best styles out of any DJ out right now, can you give the people some insight into what goes on in your head when you shop? What's a must for Action Jackson to be all action?

AJ:
Ask my stylist...nah but really there's no method to it or anything. I just pick stuff up here and there that are a little bit different. Like that stamp chain I picked up at that little vintage shop.

HG: Do you remember the time you were drunk downtown in Indy? You threw a shoe in Scott Metalic's eye as hard as you could from 3 feet away. Hmmm... yeah, really not question there, I just wanted to bring that up.

AJ:
Haha. That was at our '07 Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. I had a lil too much Egg Nog. For some reason my shoes always come off when I'm faded and I start chucking them around. I didn't even remember it happening till (DJ) Wushu told me the next day. I love Scotty though, he's the best. I called to apologize and he was like "It's cool. I've never had a black eye before and my girlfriend says it makes me look tough."

HG:
Your always up on the new music. What song are you really feeling right now that people just aren't hip to yet?


AJ:
It's been out for a few months but Chelley "Took the Night" is my ish. I've been rinsing it every time I play for the past month or so. I'm also feeling all the new Hardy Boyz stuff.

HG:
If you were a super villain who would you be and what hero would you want to destroy?

AJ:
The Grinch
and I'd destroy Dave Matthews.

HG: (hahaha) what would you like to say to the people that come out and stand on the wall all night?

AJ:
Kill Yourself.

HG:
Where was the craziest place you have ever DJ'd at?

AJ:
I did a party down in Louisville last year during Derby weekend that was pretty crazy. Narwhal and I played from 10pm till 6 or so in morning and people were wildin out the whole time. And the dance floor was like a beer lake by the end of the night because the bar was doing kegs in that room... my old roommate fell on his ass while doing the Crank Dat.

HG
: A lot of stuff has changed in the DJ game recently with the Internet, serato, and the increase in DJ demand. Is there anything that you have a problem with

right now? Is there anything you wish you could change?

AJ:
Well I was lucky to start out on vinyl before serato jumped off. I think that definitely helped me become a better DJ. Today, since the barriers to entry are so low, there's just so many more people "deejaying" who should be on the dance floor. There's also a lot more garbage music to wade through before you find those gems. But, on the upside because anyone can make music now there's a lot of incredible stuff coming out. Cats in there bedrooms and basements all over the world are puting out music and everyone has access to it. Not to mention, I don't have to drag 100 pounds of records around every time I play. I guess if there was one thing I'd change I wish dance music was less disposable.

http://www.myspace.com/actionjacksondj

3 comments: