Friday, February 10, 2012

Interview with s.a.i.n.t. RECON'S Jesse Reddington

s.a.i.n.t. RECON's Jesse Reddington

s.a.i.n.t. RECON creates its "prog-hip-hop" sound by carving a snarling threshold for holding the interest of both music-minded rockers and hiphop junkies. The group packs its repertoire with danceable, raw-boned jams that regularly win the crowd's favor. s.a.i.n.t. RECON is something truly unique. s.a.i.n.t. RECON pours every ounce of energy they can muster into everything they do, especially live performances. They step on stage with one objective: putting on a high-energy performance that stretches beyond a traditional hip-hop set. Look out for s.a.i.n.t. RECON as they're sure to tackle the next feat momentarily...

Interview 02/09/12 by Troy Padilla
1) HG: So how did you come up with the name s.a.i.n.t. RECON?

Jesse: “s.a.i.n.t.” is an acronym for “speaking as I’ve never told.” AceOne, Mr. Kinetik and myself (I have no fancy name) highly value the importance of evolving as artists. We challenge each other to try new things most other emcees, bass players, or producers wouldn’t try. From how the songs are written and performed to playing the instruments on the recordings, s.a.i.n.t. RECON requires purpose and technique. The end result is ultimately us ‘doing things as we’ve never done them before.’

The word “recon” relates to capturing or reclaiming what was once yours. In this case, I wanted to regain my spirit for writing songs. I’ve played in bands since I was 15. Looking back, I think of all the songs I wrote that never made it to tape. (Not everybody had their own “studio” back then—not that the songs I wrote at 15 were worth a shit, because they weren’t.) It’s kind of depressing though, and definitely drained my will to write over the years. I put RECON together to reclaim that will by producing hip-hop beats featuring the bass guitar, and by finally using my own guidelines for composition, both of which I’ve never done before. There’s a theme in there somewhere.

2) HG: What are you are doing different with hip-hop today in comparison to other hip-hop styles or groups?

Jesse: Traditional hip-hop production relies on the same loop repeating over and over. Every time RECON emcees step to the mic, they’re dealing with a composition containing several different grooves within the same song. You’ll hear bridges, interludes, solos, and whatever else the song demands. Also, hip-hop is heavily based upon samples. We use samples at times, but most of our recordings contain real instruments, especially as time goes on.

3) HG: What other music do you listen to besides hip-hop?

Jesse: If it’s good, I’ll listen to it. As an artist, I think it’s vital to listen to as many different genres as possible. Naturally, I’m drawn to bass greats like Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius. From a songwriter’s perspective, I’ve been greatly inspired by Josh Homme, who’s played in Them Crooked Vultures, Queens of the Stoneage, The Desert Sessions, and Kyuss. I also admire the 500 different groups Mike Patton formed.

4) HG: If you were forced to stop playing bass, what other instrument would you play and why?

Jesse: I think I’d get behind the drum kit. My brother has played since he was about 4, so I’d have a good teacher. Drums are like the engine of music in general. That’s where a lot of the “feel” comes from.

5) HG: Can you provide some details on the Emcees in your group? Their names, past, or maybe some background on how you hooked up.

Jesse: Mr. Kinetik does a lot of solo work, but also recently released separate EPs with Eratic and Rusty Redenbacher. AceOne has his slick mitts in about 30 different Indianapolis projects. I met both guys through Rusty. Ace recorded some vocals on Russ’ Lazarus project while I played bass in the live band. Russ introduced me to Kinetik when Obama came to Indianapolis during the ’08 primaries. We shot the video for “Get Down and Dig It” earlier that day.

6) HG: What is in store for s.a.i.n.t. RECON in 2012?

Jesse: Item 1 on the list: Releasing our debut full-length album titled, “Séance Grenade.” I’d also like to see us play more festivals, shoot a couple videos, continue writing new material, strategize, hustle, etc.

7) HG: Who is your favorite Indianapolis artist or group?

Jesse: The Tornado Alley

8) HG: How do you prepare for your next song or beat?

Jesse: It’s really nothing significant. I develop something on the bass and then bring in a metronome. I start hearing where everything else will fall into place in regard to dynamic and phrasing. Once I come up with the main idea, I just let the song take over and write itself.

9) HG: If you were going to get arrested for anything, what would it be?

Jesse: Playing an Eastern snakecharmer flute in a hip-hop track called “How the Champagne Girl Got Boosted.”

10) HG: Name 3 albums you are listening to in your car right now.

Jesse: I’ve had Mr. Bungle’s “California” cd playing for a week or so. Before that, it was Mudvayne. Before that, WuTang.

Check out s.a.i.n.t. RECON here:





No comments:

Post a Comment