Tuesday, February 19, 2013

INTERVIEW w/ Scoot Dubbs x DJ Spoolz


HG: If this album was a plate of food what would spoolz and scoot be serving up?

Scoot:  Steamed broccoli in a butter broth. Fried pop tarts. Bacon wrapped jolly ranchers, and the biography of Malcom X drizzled in light sarcasm.

Spoolz:  Hahaha - what Scoot said.  Naw, I'd say something heavy combined with something light... like a salad and a giant steak...

HG: How did you come up with the album name?

Scoot:  Well this album was supposed to be three separate projects, but once I found out that I got accepted to SDSU's MFA program I decided to combine what I had to build this particular album.  It was built on a foundation of self discovery and honest expression. If I was feeling
happy I wrote a happy song.  If I as angry I wrote an angry song.  It was kinda like talking to myself in a lot of ways about what I was going through and at times it felt as different as night and day.

Spoolz:  It was Scoot's idea.  Once he gave me the concept, he and I started digging for eclectic samples that no one had used before to illustrate the contrast between night and day (the contrast that you see in the songs on the album).  I stumbled upon an old story telling record that I used for the scratches on the intro, and it fit perfectly with the concept as well.

HG: Fill in the blank:
If not for artist like _______________________________________ I would not have been able to make this album.

Scoot:  Fishbone.
Spoolz:  Blockhead

HG: About the song Beggars, is this about a girl or a metaphor and if this is about a girl does she know that song is about her?

Scoot:  Beggars goes between being about a girl and.....

 a metaphor about life, process, art, and the inner struggles that come with the reality of that lifestyle.

HG: How is this album The Difference Between Night & Day different from your last album?

Scoot:  I thought more about this album as a whole instead of individual tracks.  I feel each song compliments the one before it as well as the one after to create a "manipulatable" mood throughout the album.

Spoolz:  This project incorporates some different elements than the last project... different production styles, different melodic styles (i.e.- the singing on the album), etc.  Scoot really challenged me to think outside of the regular "hip-hop" box with the scratches and samples, and I think that's reflected on the album.  Instead of immediately going to my hip-hop acapella collection to find samples, Scoot and I dug through tons of weird records to find quotes and samples that really fit the mood of each track in a unique way.

HG: What was it like working with Freddie Bunz?

Scoot:  Having Freddie Bunz around is always a good time.  It's interesting to see the two differences between his show demeanor and his booth demeanor, but definitely a true talent.  His double-ups are
pretty much flawless.

HG: Who created the cover art and how much input did you have in the final design?

Scoot:  The homie Red August did the cover art.  Working with him was a breeze.  We talked about what I wanted visually and he sent me over three drafts in about a week.  He was very open to my input about what I thought and what i'd like to change if anything.  After about two more emails where the suggestion of combining the first and third draft, the cover was done.  He pretty much nailed it in about a week and a half.  PAY FOR SERVICES RENDERED!!! (Support Local,cause we're all trying to make our dreams come true)

Spoolz:  Red August did an amazing job with the artwork.  I served as a middle man between Red August and Scoot for the art (with Scoot out in San Diego).  Mike was very open and flexible, and came to the table with some great ideas to work from to get it done in a timely fashion.

HG: Which song on this album is your favorite to perform?

Scoot:  Man that's kind of a hard one....Althrough we've only performed it about twice I think, i'd have to say Scoot's Place is my favorite to do live off the new album.  You got Ace-One, Blake Allee, LONEgevity, Skittz, Ms. Stokes, Tony Styxx, and Joe Harvey all in one track on one
stage partying!  Can't beat it.


Spoolz:  I'd say "Sicteen."  Although it's short, it's powerful and has a hard edge to it that I dig.  Scoot's rhymes are mean, and the scratch sample fits perfectly with the nature of the song without being too obvious.


HG: If there was two things you want people to take away from this album what would that be?

Scoot:  That it was an honest and open expression.

Spoolz:  1. Indianapolis-based hip-hop is alive, well, and needs to be heard.
             2. Cut Camp is in the building.

BONUS QUESTIONS

HG: Fill in the blank:
I hate when rappers____________________________________________________

Scoot:  I hate when rappers suck at rapping.  That's your supposed job.  Why are you not good at your job, and who is employing you?

Spoolz:  I hate when rappers act like they are great MC's simply b/c they sell records.  It blurs the line between great MC's and great actors.

HG: Is there anyone dead or alive that you would have liked to be able to drop a verse on this album?

Scoot:  Zach De la Rocha
Spoolz:  A verse from Inspectah Deck for "Sicteen."

No comments:

Post a Comment